Eminem seemed greedy when he appeared on the scene boasting three different, distinct personalities (Marshall Mathers III and Slim Shady being the other two), but Josh Tillman, singer-songwriter, guitarist and former drummer for Fleet Foxes, matches the Detroit rapper courtesy of pseudonyms J. Tillman (imaginatively) and Father John Misty.
Josh/J/Father’s brand of off-kilter folk-rock is a million miles away from Shady’s back catalogue though, as he fluctuates seamlessly between heartfelt romance and acerbic barbs on my favourite album of the year so far – I Love You, Honeybear. According to an interview with The Guardian recently, he explained the inspiration for his latest alter-ego was when “I got into a van with enough mushrooms to choke a horse and drove down the coast with nowhere to go.”
That kind of gives you an idea of what to expect. Here’s a better idea:
The Father John Misty tour dates are:
- Friday 23rd October – QUBSU, Belfast.
- Monday 26th October – The Plug, Sheffield.
- Tuesday 27th October – The Junction, Cambridge.
- Wednesday 28th October – Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London.
- Thursday 29th October – Shepherd’s Bush Empire, London.
See more gigs worth booking a baby sitter for at the Dad Gigs page.